?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
update
mythbusters
beeker121

Type your cut contents here  Firstly, let me say I really like this surgeon.  He is friendly, answered all of my questions, and has done this particular surgery many, many times.  All positive things.

So he looked over my chart and did his own quick ultrasound of my thyroid.  What it boils down to is that he is not as certain as my endo that surgery is immediately necessary, but also thinks it is a reasonable choice at this time.  He pointed out that an endo can be all gung ho but that surgeons tend to be more conservative since if there are any complications they rest on the surgeon's head.  Which makes sense.  

He also strongly recommended that if we did surgery I only get the right side removed. I had asked my endo about that possibility, but she thought it best to remove the entire thyroid, so that there'd be no chance of having to go back in.  The surgeon pointed out that the left side is in good shape (only two very small nodules), that if he needed to go back and take the left side out the incision would be in a different place, not through scar tissue (his words "if we're taking out just the right side I'm not going to go exploring").  Also the two major risk factors of a full thyroidectomy are nicking the parathyroid glands that regulate calcium or the nerve that goes to your vocal cords, but both of those things are paired right and left.  So if he only removes the right side the chance that he could cut anything on the left goes away entirely.

So I pondered for a while about what to do.  I realized that unlike last year I had been leaning toward the surgery after pondering everything  though it also sounds like I could find a more conservative endo and avoid the surgery.  But the chance that I am simply putting surgery off is large, and if I have to have surgery I'd just as soon do it now.  And a decision was made.

My surgery is scheduled for Thursday, May 28 at 9:30a.  We will only be removing the right side, which is a decision I am really happy with.  (I did ask the surgeon 'what if it is cancer' and he said we go back in and take out the left side.  But he also pointed out that I have had five benign biopsies on the right nodule, and it is highly unlikely for something to become cancerous.)  I will be spending the night in the hospital and taking it easy for a week.
 


  • 1
Aw thanks so much. Yeah, it feels good to have this much decided. *hugs*

  • 1