Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
temping and planning do not mix
I'm currently signed on with a temp agency so I can pick up some work while doing this job hunting thing.  As of last Sunday I was working the inventory gig Monday night, and receptioning Wed and Thurs.  I made my plans for the week based on that information.

Monday I got a call at 4:50 asking me to start receptioning a day early.  I cancelled an appointment for the next day, and went in on Tuesday.  Yesterday at 4:15 I got a call asking me to reception today, and Monday afternoon as well.  So I'll be heading back in today, but Monday I have a followup to my physical scheduled, and said I was unavailable.  I am trying to decide if I should reschedule that appointment.  The pros of rescheduling: it shows willingness, no on else gets assigned to this place so it's all mine when they need someone next.  The cons of rescheduling: what's to say if I move the appointment to Tuesday I don't get called to work on Tuesday.  I want to be as available as possible but can't wait until the last minute for everything else in my life.

As a person who makes plans always, with the lists and careful time management, temping is hard.  I put aside some small stuff to do earlier this week because I had all day Friday, and now I don't.  I am grateful for the work, but have to figure this out.

On the plus side I slept really well last night, which makes a huge difference in how I feel this morning.

  • 1
I used to find this when I was doing relief. I was always terrified to say 'no' to any work because I was afraid they'd not ask me again (and that happened more than once, too). I hope you get to your appointments! And glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. Constant pain is debilitating.

I did move one appointment so I could work on Monday, since I already have a relationship with the company I'm being placed at. Then they called me for a different gig that was only 4 hrs a day with a lot of commuting that when all the time and costs were taken into account would have paid about $6 an hour and I said no. So I figure I give a little, they give a little, and hopefully it will all work out.

  • 1