Something else I found out in Portland at the Chinese garden - my zodiac animal is a rat not a cow. Seems since I was born in January and Chinese New Year is usually in early February that I can not simply go by the handy look up the year guides but was supposed to check dates too. Who knew? So I left an ox and came back a rat.
Something like this can change your whole world view.
So now I've been to Portland. The quick check list of things both seen and done:
- climbed to the top observation platform at Multinomah Falls (the little sign says 1 mi which doesn't seem like very far until you realize it's all at 15% grade! ouch)
- Powell's. Was there for 2 hours bought a dozen books, including my favorite find a hardback of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
- walking all over downtown to look at parks and fountains
- the rose garden and reading the name of all the past rose queens; there has never been a Rebecca
- hanging out at Biddy McGraws (the bar my friend owns) after hours and watching Rob dance wearing nothing but his girlfriend Erin's panties.
- waking up many hours before Ian on Sunday and watching Young Frankenstein and Ghostbusters II before he made it downstairs.
- a drunk man in a cowboy hat asking me to two-step - ummm no.
- being pulled aside at PDX to be gone over with the wand, despite the fact that when I walked through the metal check nothing beeped.